[Insight-users] Geospatial registration

Garrett Potts potts at cfl.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 14:32:57 EDT 2004

Hello Luis:

I am currently testing the registration on a CIB (controlled image
block) and a Landsat pan band.  Eventually I would like to do cross
sensor registration and eventually batched bundle adjustments.  I have
a 5 meter and a 10 meter CIB file and the landsat completely overlaps
the CIB data set.  I currently just hand picked a point that looks like
it should correlate good.  The Landsat models are around a few pixels
off.  Within our software we have parameters that can be tweaked in
order to adjust and remove the errors.  I figured this would be nice to
bridge since Insight package works well with adjustable parameters.

Currently I have the following:

1.  Derived a transform class that bridges to our adjustable
parameters.  Since I can't calculate the partials explicitly I
numerically calculate it by varying the adjustable a small amount and
see how x and y change and set the Jacobian.  I am not sure what the
ideal perturbation of each parameter should be to calculate an accurate
partial.

Every time the SetParameter is called I adjust our internal transform
found in our internal image processing chain.

2.  Derived an interpolator.  Just returns a pixel value in the
floating image chain.

Note:  Both images are resampled and projected to a Map view and all
analysis is done there.  Given that, I currently don't transform any
points coming into the transform.

> You may want to look closer at the size and location of the
> image regions that you want to be taken into account while
> the image metric is computed.  In particular that will
> affect your selection of the FixedImageRegion() and eventually
> the use of an Image Mask.

I have no clew what the best dimension is to analyze and am not sure
what metric works best.  Currently, I think the Mutual information
metric is working well.  I am still having problems with parameter
adjustments and getting the parameters to settle down to an accurate
adjustment.

Any suggestions on good metrics and size of the image to analyze let me
know.

Ultimately I would like to automatically find the correlation points on
the image and then take the minimal fit of all points and use the
result as the final adjustment.

Thank you for the help and

Take care

Garrett