[Insight-users] Geospatial registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Oct 27 18:11:31 EDT 2004

Hi Garrett,

Thanks for the detailed description of your project.

>> Any suggestions on good metrics and size of the image to analyze let me
>> know.

If you are registering multimodality images, your best
options for metrics are the variants of Mutual Information.
There are about 4 different implementations of Mutual Information
in ITK, you probably want to start with MattesMutualInformation,
that is one of the smoothest.

For a full list of the ImageMetrics available in ITK please look at
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/group__RegistrationMetrics.html

Note that you can always write your own customized Image Metric and
replace it in the registration framework as you just did with the
transform.

About the computation of derivatives, the size of the perturbations
to be used for computing derivatives by finite differences is something
that must be customized based on the dynamic range of every individual
parameter, as well as the sensitivity of the transforms to those
particular values.  For example, in a similarity transform, the scale
and rotation parameters are very sensitive to small variations.

This is one of those issues that can only be solved by experimenting
with the values.