[Insight-users] Using masks in multiresolution registration

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Tue Aug 16 10:01:07 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 11:15 +0100, Vicente Grau wrote:
> I am trying to include masks for the fixed and moving images in a
> MultiResolutionImageRegistrationMethod, using Mutual Information. I have
> modified the MultiResMIRegistration application to include the masks, by
> creating them and adding
>
> m_Metric->SetFixedImageMask(m_FixedObjectMask);
> m_Metric->SetMovingImageMask(m_MovingObjectMask);
>
> m_Registration->StartRegistration();
>
> however, the mask does not seem to make a difference at all: I get
> exactly the same results even when all pixels in the mask are zero.
> Is it possible to use masks in a multiresolution framework?

Yes it is. We've used this in the past. Are you sure that the spacing of
the mask and the image (at full resolution) are the same ? You could try
to dig into the Metric or your spatial object to see if the IsInside
function evaluates to false everywhere.

>  Is this the
> right way to do it? Are there any examples I can use?

ImageRegistration12.cxx, although not in the multi-resolution framework,
but the two aren't very different.