[Insight-users] Inversion of pixel value within a fixed intensity window

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jan 11 10:20:18 EST 2005

Hi Amitesh,

Yes, you can use the IntensityWindowingImageFilter for this purpose.
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1IntensityWindowingImageFilter.html

a typical 8bit image can be inverted with this filter
by setting the following parameters:

   filter->SetInputMaximum( 255 );
   filter->SetInputMinimum(   0 );

   filter->SetOutputMaximum(   0 );
   filter->SetOutputMinimum( 255 );

For a description of filters that change intensity pixel-wise,
please look at the ITK Software Guide

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Section 6.2.1, pdf-page 146.

----------------------------

You may want to look also at the following filters:

1) ShiftScaleImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ShiftScaleImageFilter.html

2) RescaleIntensityImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1RescaleIntensityImageFilter.html

3) and if you are ok with non-linear transformations,
The Sigmoid image filter is commonly used for inverting images
when creating the spped image for LevelSets
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SigmoidImageFilter.html

You may also look at the ImageAdaptors chapter in the
ITK Software Guide

   http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Image adaptors are a good way of implementing Pixel-wise operations
and avoid the memory duplications that results from the use of
image filters.