[Insight-users] slice based memory representation of itk volume

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Fri Nov 4 08:35:23 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 14:04 -0800, Feng Ma wrote:
> Kevin and James:
>
>   Thanks a lot for the information.
>
>   I am actually looking at a filter that could do Gaussian smoothing like
> itkDiscreteGaussianImageFilter, without using a continous 1D block of
> memory.
>
>   To use existing itk filters, probably the best shot is to use sparse
> image. I think itkDiscreteGaussianImageFilter does not support sparse image.
> Does the itkSmoothingRecursiveGaussianImageFilter support sparse image? Or
> there is any other filter that I could use/tweak to achieve my goal?
>
>   Thanks.
>
> -Feng

You can always fake it.  I get around the memory troubles I have when I
load all slices of an image at once, by loading only a few slices at a
time.  You could always just load the slice you want to filter and the
slices that would fill the neighborhood in the z ( or n for n-d ).  If
you share your technique I'm sure others will be interested and will
help develop it.  It'd be like streaming the image, but more work.