[Insight-users] Installation problems!

Andinet Enquobahrie andinet.enqu at kitware.com
Thu Oct 6 08:44:27 EDT 2005

Hello Elena,

>Then I install InsightToolkit-2.2.0.tar.gz, but I did not really knew
>where it was more convenient to be installed, in which path! So I found
>the next more detail instruction list at:
>http://www.cb.uu.se/~magnusg/index.php?pid=vtkitk&sid=itk_build
>
>Therefore I install it on: /usr/local/src, and apparently everything was
>OK.

It all depends on your preferences. As such there is no "right" path to
install your binaries . The only thing we encourge new ITK users to do is
an out-of-source build . For example,  what you might want to do is
store the source tree in
"/usr/local/src/Insight"

and build ITK in a separate directory, say for example

"/usr/local/bin/Insight_bin"

This scheme will keep things clean...

>I try then to compile the example: HellowWorld.cxx and CMake and I have a
>problem with:
>
>CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY
>
>I read about it and there is a way to go through it!
>So HelloWorld worked properly!
>
>But when I try to compile other examples like those inside the directory
>Filters (which I am particularly interested in), then I have hundreds of
>error because it did not find the *.h files, apparently I have to defined
>the include path somewhere!

How are you building the examples????  Are you building  them as part of
the full ITK build or separtely on individual basis?
If you are building the examples separately, you have to modify the
CMakelist file a bit, you can't just copy and use the one in
Insight/Examples and build it.

-Andinet

>Here are the questions:
>
>1. Apparently I have to install a new version of CMake
>cmake-2.2.1-x86-linux.tar.gz, if I install it in the same way do it will
>recognised that there is one version already there and just upgrade it, or
>do I have to erase everything before??? and begin the whole process form
>zero?
>
>2. Where exactly do you recommend to install ITK (path) and do I have to
>set all the CMake variables when I run ccmake ? I thought those were
>automatically set.
>
>3. You recommend to have an extra build directory when you write a project,
>say for instance:
>
>example1 > ls
>example1 > CMakeLists.txt  HelloWorld.cxx
>example1 > mkdir build
>example1 > cd build
>example1>build > cmake ../
>example1>build > make
>example1>build > ./HelloWorld
>
>This works with HellowWorld, but it does not work with examples at
>Filters directory.
>
>Sorry to make such a basic questions but I hope my "learning curve" will
>speed up nicely!!

Read above...