[Insight-users] Re: about Cluster computing

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Mon Oct 24 16:42:04 EDT 2005

> ----------------------
> Ashish Poddar wrote:
> > Dear Luis,
> >
> > I was just wondering if you know of any ITK instance running on a
> > cluster or grid of CPUs. I would like to get more information about the
> > same if possible.
> >
> > regards,
> > Ashish.
> >
> > --
> > Ashish Poddar
> > Its high time we standardize everything!
> > Y:ashish_poddar | MSN:ashish_poddar at yahoo.com
> > <mailto:MSN:ashish_poddar at yahoo.com> | gTalk:ahpoddar+talk at gmail.com
> > <mailto:gTalk:ahpoddar+talk at gmail.com>

I've actually had a lot of luck on our cluster with putting the parallel
parts of the code outside of itk.  I had a huge amount of trouble when I
thought of all my slices as one multi gigabyte image. When I started to
think of it as slices that could be processed independently I was able
to process all the images with only a bash script and programs from the
itk example directory.

The bad part is there's no way that code will just run 20 times faster
just because it's on a cluster.  You really have to think about what
will be parallel and what will not.