[Insight-users] fast binary dilate image filter

Gaetan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Mon Sep 5 03:18:45 EDT 2005

Hi Jerome,

I have made some changes to your filter to transform it in a fast erosion
filter. It's great to see that there is a threaded version, but it mean
that the work to have a fast erosion need to be done again :-(
There are only a few differences:
  + the filter dilate the background instead of the foreground
  + it require a larger input region to operate without border effects
  + it requires a background value. It is already implemented in the dilate
version, but I can't see any case where it will be used: dilation will
never add background pixels

Perhap's instead of changing again the code of your filter, a common class
or template can be developed and be used by erosion and dilation ? Also,
perhap's this common class can be used to implement more efficient opening
and closing than just running sequencially dilation and erosion ?

Regards,

Gaetan

PS: BinaryErodeImageFilter (a modified version of
FastIncrementalBinaryDilateImageFilter),
BinaryMorphologicalOpeningImageFilter and
BinaryMorphologicalClosingImageFilter are available at
http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcs/itk-mima2/Insight/Code/BasicFilters/ if
you want to have a look at them

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 06:27:40 +0200, SCHMID, Jerome
<jeromeschmid at surgery.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After a long time I am back to the itk list as I find a job elsewhere.
> Anyway this is not the topic of the mail...
>
> It concerns a filter I wrote on fast binary dilation for itk. At that
> time ( about 1 year ago... ) I was speaking with James Miller about
> this. Before I quit my previous job the filter hadn't been fully
> reviewed or validated, I thought that it was lost :-)
>
> Anyway I found a thread about this filter in last April (yeah sorry to
> talk about old things),
>
> http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-users/2005-April/012583.html
>
> and I discover with pleasure that the filter has been integrated by
> James. However James wonder if I made some modifications to it since.
> The answer is no as I haven't access now to my previous work.
>
> However I wonder if James tried to test the threadable aspect of the
> filter that I implemented at that time. The last version of the filter I
> submited should be in the old following thread:
>
> http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-users/2004-September/010538.html
>
> Our concern was the safety of some operations. At that time I tested it
> and it seemed to work. The current implementation
> itk::FastIncrementalBinaryDilateImageFilter hasn't the threadable aspect
> available.
>
> I hope I can find the time one day to have a deeper look on it.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Jerome Schmid

Gaetan Lehmann <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr>
Tel: +33 1 34 65 29 66