[Insight-users] ImageRegistration8 takes 2 hours 45 menit!

Tao, Xiaodong (Research) taox at research.ge.com
Fri Sep 30 09:26:58 EDT 2005

Tanya,

ImageRegistration8 uses MeanSquaresImageToImageMetric and VersorRigid3DTransform for registration. This combination may work well for images acquired for the same subject using the same modality, in which case, two images can be aligned using a rigid transform (same subject), and corresponding points in the moving image and  the fixed image have same intensity (same modality). For your application, you are registering a PET image with an MRI image. You may want to try one of the mutual information based image to image metric to get more accurate result, such as

itkNormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric or itkMattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric

There are a few examples showing how to used these metrics.

The MeanSquaresImageToImageMetric is also one of the reasons that the program takes long time to run, since at each iterattion, it transforms and interpolates ALL points in the Fixed image region in order to compute the metric. When you use itkNormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric or MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric, you can always control the running time by setting the number of samples in the fixed image region for metric computation.

If you still want to use ImageRegistration8, you can use the PET image (which has fewer voxels than the MRI image) as the fixed image to cut down the running time.

Xiaodong