[Insight-users] How to get the boundary points of an image

Susana sumercav at ono.com
Tue Apr 4 15:55:45 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'd like to make a filter that generates a signed distance from a contour
without previous knoledge of which region is inside the contour, and which
is outside, so in order to change the sign of the outer region, I want to
take the external points of the image. For a 2D image, I've tried to do
this:

  typename OutputImageType::SizeType size =
output->GetLargestPossibleRegion().GetSize();
  typename OutputImageType::IndexType index;

  //Take all the border pixels on the first direction
  for ( unsigned long k = 0 ; k < size[0] ; k++ )
   {
    index[0] = k;
    index[1] = 0;
    m_ContornoExterno->Push( index );
    index[1] = size[1] - 1;
    m_ContornoExterno->Push( index );
   }

  //Take all the border pixels on the second direction
  for ( unsigned long k = 1 ; k < size[1]-1 ; k++ )
   {
    index[0] = 0;
    index[1] = k;
    m_ContornoExterno->Push( index );
    index[0] = size[0] - 1;
    m_ContornoExterno->Push( index );
   }

m_ContornoExterno behaves like a FIFO queue. The problem is that it would
only work for 2D images, and I'd like to extend it to 3D (and preferably
ND). I've looked for iterators, but I haven't found any that does exactly
that; the closest is ImageBoundaryFacesCalculator. Could you give me some
advice about what to do?

Thank you,

Susana