[Insight-users] 3D Vessel Extraction and Measurement

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jan 18 08:41:16 EST 2006

Hi Ivan,

You may want to try the application

    http://www.itk.org/HTML/Curve3DExtraction.htm

This application is distributed with the InsightApplications
CVS checkout. (or the .zip and .tgz file in the release).

Note that this application assumes that you are targeting
a particular diameter of vessels.

If what you need is to estimate the diameter of vessels in
the image, then you may want to run the Vesselness filter
for a range of different sigmas (which are associated)
to the vessel diameter) and then choose for each vessel
the sigma where you get the highest response.

Note that this is a typical Multi-Scale analysis.

The drawback is that this may not be a fast processing, since
at all stages you process the entire image.

A more effective approach may involved to just perform the
multi-scale analysis on pixels that you have already spotted
as belonging to a vessel.  In that case you will have a two
pass processing. First, to identify prospective pixels belonging
to vessels, then Second visit to pixels and perform multi-scale
analysis on them, in order to estimate their diameters.

Another method for segmenting vessels is to use itk SpatialObjects
and register/fit  them to your images. For this purpose you may use
the itk Tube SpatialObjects.

  Please let us know if you have further questions.