[Insight-users] Problems with Insight's registration application

Yin ttang at homeworking.org
Sun Oct 22 22:52:53 EDT 2006

Hello Luis,

I have tried the IntensityBased2D3DRegistration application with the same
commands too, but there was only 1 iteration for each level; the final
parameters were tx=ty=tz=0. The problem is that when regGradDescOptimizer
calculates the transformedGradient, it is zero, so the optimization ended
without further iterations.

Did you get zero's for the final parameters too? Are we referring to
different versions? I noticed that there were some bugs with the
gradientDifferenceMetric, is that true still? (I'm using revision 12.1.05 of
this metric, with the same IntensityBased2D3DRegistration.cxx as provided by
InsightApplications-2.8).

I also tried with a different metric (Mattes MI), but I would have no (0)
samples and the exception is thrown (see 2D3DRegistration.cxx).

My other questions are:

1. The size and resolution of the projectedImage in GenerateProjection.cxx
is fixed to 256 and 1.0 respectively, what is the rationale behind fixing
these parameters?

2. How can we estimate the initial parameters for different transforms?
a) How can we estimate the rotation scales/ translation scales for
VersorRigid3DTransform?
b) I have tried to use VersorRigid3DTransform in place of
EulerCenteredTransform; if I were to use the same set of brain images, would
I need to translate the 3d image to [-100,-100,-100] as well? Particularly,
if the images I need to register have the following res/ sizes: 2D:
[256,256], [2.21,2.21]/ 3D: [128,128,90], [4.8,4.8,4.8], could I assume that
the center of the 3D is an ideal start position? (see attached images)

Thanks so much for your help.

Ying