[Insight-users] Binary Image segmentation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Aug 14 12:15:52 EDT 2007

Hi Gopal,

Thanks for posting your images.

They are quite interesting.

ITK can provide you the low level "feature detection" functionalities that
you need here. For example : line,  corner, crossing detection.

All based on analyzing the parametric space of the Hessian image.

We just run a quick test with the application:

    /InsightApplications/Curves2DExtractor/Curves2DExtractor

By loading as input image:

          Output_Bottom_Left.JPG

Setting the Sigma value ( for the Hessian) to 0.8 and
using the following parameters in the "Spatial Function" panel:

Angle Z = 34.5
Aperture X = 18.8
Aperture Y = 3
Apex Coordinates
X= 0.3
Y = 0
Z = 1
Top Plane = 0.05
Bottom Plane = 2

We put a screen shot of the results at:

   http://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/UsersITK/Curve2DExtractor/

The results indicate that you should be able to extract many
of the features, *BUT* you will need higher resolution images.
(Maybe 5 to 10 times higher that what you sent. This need for
higher resolution is related to the use of Second derivative
operators in the Hessian.

When you click on the button : "Parametric Space"

You will see appearing a scatter plot of the pixel values
in the parametric space. Different features (lines, corners, crossings)
are located in different places of this parametric space. For example,
Lines are located along in the plane Y=0, along the spine of a line
that goes from the apex of the truncated pyramid to a middle point
in the X axis.

You will have to work out different spatial functions to capture the points
corresponding to every particular feature.

    Please let us know if you have further questions,