[Insight-users] What happened to Analyze and GDCM ImageIO???

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Wed Jan 24 14:15:42 EST 2007

Markus Weigert wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> after upgrading from ITK 2.8.1 to 3.0.0 I ran in several problems regarding
> dicom and analyze image IO.
> First, I can not write Analyze images any more (it says that I would use a
> wrong image direction which was not supported by analyze format).
> Further, exported dicom files can not be read using non-itk dicom software.
> Also, it gives me lots of warnings as "non-DICOM and non-ITK standard
> key = xxxx|xxxx" when writing dicom images.
> I already found a post to the mailing list concerning these problems, but I
> didn't find a proper answer.
> I noticed that problems with ImageIO occured quite often (at least for me),
> when upgrading the toolkit what made code - changes unavoidable
> (for example changing cleartext dicom key values to xxxx|xxxx format) .
> I think it would make a great deal if these changes wouldn't immediately
> find their way to the users especially as imageio is a common operation.

Hi Markus,

   Which ITK release were you using. When looking at the history of
itk::GDCMImageIO the warning you are talking about was already there:

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/Code/IO/itkGDCMImageIO.cxx?root=Insight&only_with_tag=ITK-2-8

   and the example that IMHO seems to be what you are describing has not
changed since ITK-2.8

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/Examples/IO/ImageReadDicomSeriesWrite.cxx?root=Insight&only_with_tag=ITK-2-8

   Could you please post a portion of code that used to work for ITK 2.8
but does not work anymore.

Thanks
-Mathieu

Ps: the std::cerr warning was removed and is now properly redirected to
a itkDebugMacro.