[Insight-users] Re: Anatomical Landmarks in MRI data (Lars Nygard)

Moti Freiman freiman at cs.huji.ac.il
Tue Jul 24 12:05:45 EDT 2007

Hi Lars,
I did some work about it, but we used the nose bridge and the eyes cavities.
We computed the  principle curvatures a mesh extracted from the mri images
and then applying several heuristic rules to find our landmarks.
I assume that your work is similar to us.
However we did not use ITK, but VTK which have methods to compute the
curvatures on a mesh.
You can try it.
good luck,
Moti

Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 05:02:25 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Lars Nygard <lnygard at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Insight-users] Anatomical Landmarks in MRI data
> To: insight-users at itk.org
>
> Hi all,
>
> Im starting on this project where I have to extract characteristic
> anatomical landmarks in MRI data. Suitable candidates would
> be:
>     1. the nasion, defined as the most posterior midpoint of
>         the root of the nose.
>     2. The most posterior point of the rim of the posterior wall of the
>         external acoustic meatus
>     3. A point of the lateral canthus, defined as frontal to the orbital
>         margin of the zygomatic bone
>
> Maybe a bit difficult descpription but the goal is that you can point to
> these spots on the patient (lying on the operation table) with a optic
> pointing device. Then the algorithm should find these points in order to
> do the registration of pre-operative MRI images to the operation table.
> Has anybody worked with this and what are the options availabe in ITK
> to find these (or other) characteristics points?
> thanks for any advice,
> regards,
> Lars Nygard

> End of Insight-users Digest, Vol 39, Issue 57

__
Moti Freiman, Ph.D Student.
Medical Image Processing and Computer-Assisted Surgery Laboratory.
School of Computer Science and Engineering.
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem Givat Ram, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
Phone: +(972)-2-658-5371 (laboratory)
WWW site: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~freiman