[Insight-users] How to create a new image metric

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Nov 24 11:02:15 EST 2007

Hi Soosho,

Yes, you should derive from itkImageToImageMetric in order to
create your new image metric.

You should first become familiar with the image registration framework
of ITK.

Your should read:

A) The ITK Software Guide

        http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

    in particular the "Image Registration" chapter

and

B) The tutorials on Image Registration:

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/RegistrationMethodsOverview.pdf

You can start by implementing only the GetValue() method, as an easy
way to create an initial usable version of the Metric. Then you may
want to implement the GetValueAndDerivative() method.

\