[Insight-users] GeodesicActiveContourShapePriorLevelSetImageFilter

Matthias Ebert mebert at uni-koblenz.de
Fri Sep 28 05:39:23 EDT 2007

toluwalase lasaki schrieb:
> Hi all,

Hi

I am also trying to use this filter and have the same questions as u.
But i can help u out a bit:
> I am working on an image segmentation project and will like to use
> the 'GeodesicActive ContourShapePriorLevelSetImageFilter'. I was
> wondering if anyone is familiar with this filter and has used it
> before for segmentation. A couple of questions:
>
> - In what format must my prior shape image be? The example in the
> software guide utilizes an input (CorpusCallosumMeanShape.mha) in
> a .mha format. What kind of file is this and how can I open it to view it?
For more information about the file formats itk uses read this:
http://itk.org/HTML/Data.htm
Especially the section about "Writing a  MetaImage header for raw data".
To view these files i wrote a simple itk application that reads the
mha-files and writes png-files with the itk-reader and itk-writer. Maybe
there is a better way, but thats how it works.

> - What exactly does the "shapemodefilepattern" input refer to? I don't
> quite understand what this is and what it does? The example in the
> software guide makes reference to principal components
> CorpusCallosumMode0.mha, CorpusCallosumMode1.mha and
> CorpusCallosumMode12.mha. Can someone explain it with respect to these
> 3 files?
The files are located in the Examples/Data directory. I copied them to
my working directory, compiled the example and run it like this (now its
getting ugly):
./mybinary BrainMidSagittalSlice.png outputimage.png 60 102 120 85 88 83
6 1.0 10 10 CorpusCallosumMeanShape.mha 3 CorpusCollasumMode*.mha 50 50
With these parameters it is running right now but i am far from
understanding why :)
Most parameters are from the ItkSoftwareGuide, but i am not sure about
two scaling parameters and the startx and starty position.

> - Also, how does one determine the 'numberofmodes' and where does this
> information come from?
The number of modes i guessed because there are three
CorpusCollasumMode[1-3] files.

> - Finally, what do the "startX and startY" inputs refer to? Where do
> these coordinates come from?
Dont know ...

> If someone can also recommend some literature that I can read
> or additional examples I can view  to help me better understand how
> this filter works, that would be great.
That would be very useful.
And maybe some basic explaining of the filter and this example.

> Thanks very much for your help.
>
> Regards,
> OTL

Hope this helped a bit!