[Insight-users] regid transformation matrix

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Sep 30 12:02:40 EDT 2007

Hi Henry,

Keep in mind that the definition of orthogonality is:

                    M * M^T  =   Identity

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_matrix

(as Ruben pointed out that doesn't implies that the matrix
  is antisymmetric)

You have to be a very good mathematician to judge the orthogonality
of a Matrix by just looking at it  :-)

I would suggest that instead, you use the Orthogonality test that is
available in the itkRigid3DTransform.h:

    if( !rigid3DTransform->MatrixIsOrthogonal( matrix, tolerance ) )

The test takes your matrix, multiplies it by its transpose and then
compare the result against an identity matrix using the Tolerance
that you provide as second argument.