[Insight-users] Segmentation of a BONE

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 1 18:53:49 EDT 2008

Hi cxxzip_

Bone segmentation can be deceptively easy.

That is, it look easy to get the first 95% of a bone.

The difficulty usually arises when you try to get to the
joints, where calcification is lower, or if you actually
care about the inside of bones, where the trabecular
structure intermixes with the bone marrow.

You may want to start by playing with the region growing filters:

     itkConfidenceConnected
     itkConnectedThreshold

described in the ITK  Software Guide

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

and placing one or several seed point in the cortical bone.

 From the output of that initial test, you will get a feeling
of how difficult it would be to extract the bony structures
that you are looking for.

Hopefully you are doing this with CT images...