[Insight-users] [insight-users] Registration of 4D dataset

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 29 17:10:05 EDT 2008

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the clear description of your problem.

1) You may find useful the VV visualization tool
    recently posted to the Insight Journal:
    http://insight-journal.org/midas/handle.php?handle=1926/1458

     "VV: a viewer for the evaluation of 4D image registration"
     by Pierre Seroul, David Sarrut

    You could use it both for visualizing the 4D dataset
    as a 3D dataset animated in time.

    You could also use it to display deformation fields
    overlapping the 3D volume.

2) Regarding the deformation itself. One method that
    you may want to try first is the multi-resolution
    Demons registration method.

    You will find an example on how to use this method
    in the file:

       Insight/Examples/Registration/
                 DeformableRegistration16.cxx

    This example was kindly contributed by

        Vidya Rajagopalan,
        from the Bioimaging Systems Lab, at Virginia Tech

    during the NAMIC programming week on July 2008
http://wiki.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/2008_Summer_Project_Week

     NOTE: for your case,
           you must replace in line 204
           the Dimension value with 3 (currently is 2)

Please note that image registration in general, and deformable
registration in particular are ill-posed problems, and there
is no perfect solution for them.

It is more realistic to approach them as engineering challenges
for which you need to identify a tool that does a satisfactory
job under certain constratins of time and effort.

Please give it a try at this example and let us know if you
have further questions.