[Insight-users] vessel enhancing diffusion filter (release 200)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed May 28 12:25:26 EDT 2008

Hi Laura,

This is annoying, but normal.

This code computes Hessians of images, which in 3D requires
the allocation of sizeof(double) x 6 bytes per pixel.

That is, you will need 48 bytes per pixel of your image
in order to store the resulting Hessian alone. There will be
of course additional intermediate allocations.

If you need to process large images you may need a 64bits
machine with a larger memory...

What is the actual size (in pixels) of the image that
you are processing ?

Can you process selected regions of the image ?

Usually there is a lot of empty (or at least, non interesting)
space in medical images. You could use the RegionOfInterest
filter to reduce the vessel enhancing processing to smaller
section of the image.

Please let us know,