[Insight-users] CMTK 1.0 Released

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Tue Jun 30 16:32:53 EDT 2009

Hi Luis --

Thank you -- I was expecting that question. ;)

The answer, unfortunately, is no. We (okay, I) chose the GPL for a
reason. That reason is, of course, that I don't want to enable people to
take this software and put it into a closed-source system.

To explain myself here a little better: I recall that ITK chose the BSD
license to provide an incentive for commercial entities to participate
in its development. Seen from this point of view, I don't anticipate
contributions from commercial entities to CMTK, so providing an avenue
for free (as in beer) commercial use of CMTK seems unnecessary.

I realize that this makes it impossible to put elements of CMTK into
ITK, for example, but I don't really anticipate that happening on a
large scale due to the major design differences between the two
toolkits. Plus, I recall that incorporation of code into ITK requires
copyright transfer, and I am not yet entirely sold on that idea anyway.

All that said, I am, of course, also a grateful ITK user and thus
generally open to the idea of porting specific functions from CMTK to
ITK under a more liberal license. I would encourage anyone who's
interested in this sort of thing to contact me, and in all likelihood
we'll be able to work something out.

Best,
   Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
  Senior Research Scientist      333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"