[Insight-users] Announcement SimpleITK 0.4.0 beta released

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Thu Feb 9 08:59:08 EST 2012

Hello we are pleased to announce the release of SimpleITK 0.4.0 beta.

SimpleITK is an additional simplified interface to ITK, which is wrapped in a variety of languages.

Since the last beta release we have focus on adding more image filter, and improving support for Python, Java and C#.

There are numerous binaries available for download for Python via setuptools easy_install. Additionally we have added select binary distributions for C# and Java. Information on getting started can be found here:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK/Release_4/SimpleITK/GettingStarted#Binaries

SimpleITK code looks like this in Python:

import SimpleITK as sitk

image = sitk.ReadImage( sys.argv[1] )
image  = sitk.SmoothingRecursiveGaussian( image,  float( sys.argv[2] ) )
sitk.WriteImage( image, sys.argv[3] )

A good introduction to SimpleITK is the presentation of the SimpleITK Tutorial from MICAI 2011:
https://github.com/SimpleITK/SimpleITK-MICCAI-2011-Tutorial/blob/master/Presentation/SimpleITK-MICCAI-2011.pdf?raw=true

As this a a pre-1.0 release, and labeled a beta as such, the interface may still change some as the library continues to develop.

We are also seeking feedback as to important missing filters, as well as user experiences to guide further development. Noticeably missing still is registration. We have gone through a couple prototypes which did not provide the correct combination of flexibility and easy of use. However, we are currently finalizing one and expect it to be available in the next release.

Enjoy!

Bradley Lowekamp
Medical Science and Computing for
National Library of Medicine