[Insight-users] L-BFGS-B thread safety in ITK 4.3

Loic Le Folgoc loic.itk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:31:18 EST 2013

Hello to all,

I'm using the itk::LBFGSBOptimizer class. It relies on the vnl_lbfgsb
class, which in turn makes use of the L-BFGS-B routines from netlib
(Modules\ThirdParty\VNL\src\vxl\v3p\netlib\opt\lbfgsb.c).
The L-BFGS-B routines were thread-safe by ITK 3.20
(http://www.itk.org/Bug/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=3548).They were then
improved as described in Jorge Nocedal and Jose Luis Morales (2011); if
I'm not mistaken the non thread-safety was also reintroduced in this
updated version of the code (in lbfgsb.c).

Am I accurate in saying that the L-BFGS-B optimizer is still not
thread-safe as ofITK 4.3? And if so, would somebody have a working,
thread-safe version of this piece of code? I've given it a try myself
(cf. attachment), I'm just not quite 100% sure that it's working as
intended.

Thankyou very much.
With best regards,

Loïc